Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Difficulties

We have a demo coming up on Thursday for what we've spent the last 6+ weeks working on.

I hate doing demo's. The scope of what we are actually talking about isn't clear. But people (ie, my bosses) need to be impressed and not disappointed . Hmmm, ok.

This isn't a technical audience, although it is an IT audience. When i explain things as they actually are, what we are demoing is seen as overcomplicated. When we deliver estimates, we are told it's too long. When i simplify, it's seen as redundant.

Need to find a fine balance between telling people how complicated things are, but also explaining that what we are delivering is complicated because of the problems with previous systems. We can't ignore the past.

I'm not going to be building a system that will be worse than it's predecessor.

It's not helping that i'm taking the lead, therefore responsibility.

I can't win. Yet i keep battling.

I'm fighting against myself.

When i think about what would happen if this project doesn't go ahead, i don't feel good about the qualities that i'm trying to push into the company. If they can't see why, then I can't help.

No comments:

Post a Comment